Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Fair and Equitable

 As a well-educated, upper-middle-class, liberal, white person who knows a lot of other similarly described people, I've noticed a consistent theme in arguments regarding social and economic justice. They push back against any idea of change by pointing out, often quite correctly, how the new laws/regulations/attitudes will result in an unfair situation. Affirmative Action hurts Asian Americans. The MeToo movement results in some innocent men being harmed (financially). We can't decrease racial disparity at the expense of higher overall crime rates. We can't (shouldn't) change the status quo in a way that results in a new type of inequity.

But if you think about it: why not? Those very same liberals will readily admit the status quo is not fair. They decry the racism in our country and want to change. They feel for other marginalized groups and will attend a rally and carry a big sign to prove it. They know things are wrong and should be fixed. But they will fight any change that fixes one problem by creating another - because that new problem might actually affect them.

But if one group has held the advantage in an unfair situation for many generations, isn't it better to switch it up and let the disadvantaged people have power for a while? If your older brother hogged the Nintendo console for a whole weekend, isn't it fair that you get to have it all to yourself the next weekend? Isn't inequity fairer when the victims are rotated instead of locked on the same groups all the time?

I mean, I also would like a world that is perfectly fair and equal to everyone everywhere all the time. And such a world might be possible. But to hold up any change in this world in the name of only moving towards a theoretical perfection (which cannot be universally agreed upon) ends up looking like a bunch of privileged folks not willing to give up their privilege. I get it. I, too, would rather not live in a world where I am accosted for my skin color; where I face heavier policing of my public interactions as well as my personal life. I'd rather not be poorer than my neighbors and given less chance to improve my situation. I don't want to be discriminated against, prejudged, or needlessly killed by the state and society. But if that's the price I (we) must pay to create a better world for those who are currently suffering under the yolk of my privilege, I  have to admit it would be only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My world, my rules. Feel free to comment. I welcome dissent. I feel free to delete at my whim.