Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Analogies: Removing a Pencil from your Eye

Imagine I stuck a pencil in your eye. That’s clearly wrong. It was done with deliberate intent to hurt you and as long as that pencil was there you’d be in pain, half-blinded and full of rage. But what if you went to the ER and the doctor said he couldn’t remove it. He didn’t want to upset me and I clearly wanted that pencil to be in your eye. How else will you remember that I hate you, how else will I remember that time when I was able to hurt you so much? Two wrongs don’t make a right. Crazy, right? Who cares what I think - get that damn pencil out of my eye and do it NOW!

Most of the Confederate monuments in this country were put up long after the war. They were put in public spaces often without discussion, paid for by private groups, certainly without the support of African Americans who often weren’t allowed to vote at the time. They were erected to remind those descendants of slaves who really controlled those public spaces. There is nothing honorable or decent about the actions they memorialize, a war fought against this country to support the institution of slavery. They were a pencil to the eye of equality, and as such need to be removed. That it still entails debate is a sad commentary on the moral fiber of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My world, my rules. Feel free to comment. I welcome dissent. I feel free to delete at my whim.